The access to the greenhouse is directly from the top. To the dining room and the educational zone (half-buried), from the parking located at the intermediate level.
The visitor is received at the garden-like hall and then redirected to the different spaces located at this level (kitchen and dining hall).
The greenhouse-control room, the maintenance facilities and a dressing room for the employees are at the lower level.
The new building allows nature to mix with architecture. It is a space where limits are broken; nature breaks into the interior of the building and covers the top.
- The roof of the building is used to plant vegetables and aromatic plants on the garden and the greenhouse. Vegetation is part of the building.
- The greenhouse faces south and the dining room North. This enables the building to gain heat during the winter, and the dining room has no need of shadowing.
- The space is organized through an atrium with an interior garden that allows the kitchen to have natural light and no need of artificial light.
- The atrium acts as a “climate shock absorber” to reduce the need of acclimatization of the building.
- The south façade and the glass cover of the atrium have a solar collection system that also serves to shadow the atrium during the summer.
- Most of the building solutions used are very easy to deconstruct.
- The facades, forge and the interior partitions, are made of local certified wood.
- Many of the used materials are recycled materials (ceramic, slag, plastic, glass, aluminum…)
- Increase of the thermal insulation by 400% more than required by law. Achieved by:
- Green cover that has a water tank under it (and over a wood forge).
- The glass used in the building façade improves energy saving by 50%.
- It has a photovoltaic installation for own consumption. The estimated annual production is 19340 KWH.
- 90% of the thermal necessities of the building (both in heat and cold) are based on a geothermic installation. It has 18 holes that are 125 meters deep and produce 165000KWH every year.
- Use of overnight ventilation to reduce interior temperature during summer.
- The building has plugs for electric vehicles.
- All the building lighting is obtained by energy efficient equipment that can be adjusted.
- It has a water tank for rainwater that covers 100% of the irrigation necessities of the vegetable garden and the greenhouse. It also acts as a water reserve in case there is a fire.
- There is another rainwater tank that covers 100% of the water needed for the toilets.
Interior air quality:
- The air installation works with 100% of exterior air.